All SCC students must complete an application for graduation and successfully complete all course requirements in their program of study. Our commencement ceremony is held in May and all fall, spring, and summer graduates for the academic year are eligible to participate.
Please follow the steps below to successfully complete the graduation process:
- Login to WebAdvisor and under “My Profile” verify that the major(s) showing is the program(s) you plan to complete for graduation this academic year. If major(s) is not listed, you will need to complete a Change of Major form with the Student Success Center prior to meeting with your advisor.
- Complete the first page of the graduation application and meet with your advisor to finish the second page. Your advisor will verify that you are in the correct major, and review classes required for completion.
- Submit your completed application to the Registrar’s Office by the appropriate deadline. Please note that you must submit a separate graduation application for each degree, diploma or certificate. Applications are required whether or not you intend to participate in the graduation ceremony.
- Your application will be reviewed by the Registrar, and an email will be sent within 3 weeks of receipt of your application. The email will notify you and your advisor of the remaining classes needed to complete your requirements. Please work with your advisor to ensure you are properly registered for these classes in the upcoming semester(s).
- All students participating in the graduation ceremony must wear an SCC cap and gown. The SCC Bookstore will provide caps and gowns for pre-order during the Spring semester. All inquiries about caps/gowns should be directed to the bookstore personnel at (910) 695-3789.
- Additional information will be mailed in April pertaining to graduation rehearsal and ceremony. The graduation ceremony is scheduled for Saturday, May 13, 2017.
Please feel free to contact the Office of Records and Registration at any point in the process with any questions or concerns. We want you to be successful every step of the way!
Graduation Application Deadlines:
Fall 2016 Completers – November 3, 2016
Spring/Summer 2017 Completers – February 9, 2017
*Please Note: Walking across the stage during the commencement activities does not mean that you have “graduated”. You must complete all course requirements before receiving a diploma.
Complete the first page of the Application for Graduation (New application coming soon) and meet with your advisor to complete the second page. Submit your completed application to the Office of the Registrar, 118A Stone Hall by the designated deadline. Applications are also available in Student Services.
In order to earn a degree from Sandhills Community College you will need to meet the following general requirements:
- Meet any grade requirements for course(s) such as a grade of “C” or higher for Health Science majors.
- Earn a minimum of a 2.00 grade point average in your program of study.
- Successfully complete 25 percent of course credit hours of the certificate, diploma, or associate degree requirements at Sandhills Community College, with that 25 percent coming from major and other major hours, and not from general education hours, for the program of study. The Director of Records and Registration verifies completion of 25 percent as part of the graduation application process.
- Successfully complete course requirements as prescribed in the Catalog in effect at the time of entry into the program. If students have an interruption in enrollment from their designated program of study of two or more years, they will be subject to the program requirements prescribed in the Catalog in effect upon their re-entry into the program.
- Submit a current graduation application to the Registrar’s Office after you have met with your assigned advisor.
- Clear all financial obligations to the college.
Locating your assigned advisor is easy! Login to your WebAdvisor account under “My Profile”. You can also review your curriculum transcript under “Academic Profile”.
Honors: Students are eligible to graduate with honors if their major (only courses included in major can be used) GPA is a 3.5 or higher with Associate Degrees or Diplomas.
Cum Laude – grade point average between 3.50 – 3.74
Magna Cum Laude – grade point average between 3.75 – 3.89
Summa Cum Laude – grade point average between 3.90 – 4.00
Phi Theta Kapa coordinator: Jackie Babb
President and Deans List coordinator: Linda Chandler
How many family members can attend the commencement ceremony?
There will be two tickets issued to each student in case of inclement weather. If inclement weather is not an issue, there is no limit to the number of guests that may attend.
When will my degree information appear on my transcript?
Graduates can expect degrees to be posted on their transcripts approximately 4 weeks after the graduation date. When ordering a transcript please select “After Degree Completion Statement is Posted”.
What is an evaluation?
When you meet with your assigned advisor, they will run an evaluation (EVAL) which will list completed, and remaining courses needed for graduation.
I am completing more than two degrees, do I need more than one graduation application?
If a student is applying for more than one degree, a separate graduation application is required for each certificate, diploma, or degree. Students cannot apply to graduate from both the Associate in Science and Associate in Arts degree programs for the same academic year. Also, students cannot apply to graduate with the Associate of General Education or the Associate of General Occupational Technology if they are graduating or have graduated with another associates degree ( A.A.S, A.S, A.A).
I have 60 credits, am I able to graduate?
Most students are close to graduation when they reach the 60 credit hour total. You can check your status online through WebAdvisor (accessible through My SCC), or by seeing your assigned advisor.
When will I receive my diploma?
Your diploma will be mailed approximately 4 - 6 weeks after the commencement ceremony. Verification of degrees/diplomas/certificates takes time so please be patient as we try to expedite this process.
How can I order a duplicate diploma?
A replacement diploma costs $10.00. You can fill out the form, or you can submit a request in writing for a replacement. Please be sure to include: Your name at time of graduation, dates of attendance, program of study, mailing address, hand written signature, date of birth, and a current contact number. A check or money order should be made payable to Sandhills Community College. Please note that diploma replacement requests take up to 7 days and can not be expedited with an extra fee.
Sandhills Community College
Attn: Business Office
3395 Airport Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
Where do I order my cap and gown?
All inquiries about gaps and gowns should be directed to the bookstore at (910) 695-3789. The SCC Bookstore will provide caps and gowns for pre-order during the Spring semester. Click here for more information.
How will I know about graduation rehearsal?
Additional information will be mailed in April pertaining to graduation rehearsal and ceremony. The graduation ceremony is scheduled for Saturday, May 13, 2017.